Friday, July 12, 2019

Animals and Aliens


Animals and Aliens
            I’m hungry.  I’ve got a jar of peanut butter and some bread.  The problem is, the peanut butter has been in the fridge and is rock solid. There is no way I can spread it on the bread without tearing a hole in it, so I take the lid off, tear off the inner seal and stick it in the microwave set for 25 seconds.  That, I figure, should do the trick.  However, unbeknownst to me the inner seal has aluminum in it.  The microwave goes “zzzz, snap, crack” scaring the shit out of me and as I release the door to take the jar out, I scan the countertop for a knife.  I use the knife to scrape the remnants of the aluminum seal off, then microwave the peanut butter again.  All goes well.  I get to eat and the bread remains unholy.
            Using a tool to solve my problem is not second nature to me.  It is first nature, the place my human mind immediately goes when faced with adversity.  Throughout the day I will unconsciously utilize my nature to solve dozens if not hundreds of minor problems.  It will not occur to me, at the end of the day, that I am special because of all the clever things I’ve done.  I’ve just been a human being.  That’s how we be, us humans.  We manipulate our environments to further our goals whether they include making a sandwich or creating electricity using a nuclear reactor.  It ain’t no thang, not really.  We can’t help ourselves.  It’s what evolution has produced.
            I used to have this horse.  A beautiful bay mustang called Satch.  He was a jumpy guy, had had a hard life, rounded up off the reservation and sold to some chick high on meth , and left to stand in a dirt lot with a bunch of other horses for four years.  He’d been “greenbroke,” or accustomed to a halter and saddle but not much more than that, and when his drug addled owner had gotten over the fun of drugs and jumped on a one way bus to the dying part, I took possession of Satch rather than see him go the slaughter, where he would have been rendered for cash on the pound.  Satch accepted me only marginally throughout our entire 8 year relationship, but did the best he could.  I’ll never forget that first day he let me close enough to take the cholla cactus branches out of his mane and tail.  I’m sure they’d been irritating him terribly, but for a very long time they seemed preferable to letting someone like me actually touch him.  Eventually he did though, and became a good little trail horse.  But like I said, he was jumpy.
            And trying.  It vexed me daily that when we’d ride out from the boarding stable to the desert trails, a distance of about a quarter of a mile.  He was mostly fine, but there was one day a week in which he wasn’t.  Garbage day.  I’d get so angry at him, “it’s just a garbage bin, you big dummy!”  I must have said that a dozen times before it finally dawned on me that he wasn’t the dummy.  I was.  All locked up in my human “intelligence” I couldn’t understand that while what I saw was a big ugly metal box, Satch saw a likely predator.  Every day of the week these large, industrial sized bins were in the same places, but on garbage day, after they’d been picked up and emptied, they’d be moved.  While this was almost entirely below the radar for me, Satch was a horse and to a horse that has evolved over millions of years of traveling the plains and perceiving every single detail of its range, the moving of garbage bins was a huge deal.  Satch’s ancestral knowledge dictated that things that move are either other herbivores—you can identify them easily because of the way they smell and the fact that they’re almost always chewing, other horses, or predators.  In other words, to Satch those garbage bins may very well have been moving in to kill and eat him.
            It’s humiliating to admit that then and now I am so locked into my human way of thinking, to what I understand as logic based and fairly utilitarian, that it took me many months to “see” Satch.  The truth is, he was a careful and very smart horse.  Had he been doing what his DNA prepared him to do, roaming freely with his herd, his capacity to survive would have been much higher than other of his less attentive brethren.
            A long time ago I was fortunate enough to get to work with wild animals.  It was at a now defunct marine park called Marineland, located at the tip of the Palos Verdes Peninsula in Southern California.  I started as summer intern, moved on to a lab technician position and eventually was hired as a keeper, the first such hire in the park’s history.  This was in the late 1970’s, the cusp of the time in which women were allowed to have real careers.  Back then I had a sort of romanticized idea of marine mammals, particularly cetaceans, since all kinds of nuts like John Lilly were, at the time, insisting that whales and dolphins were not just perhaps of superior intelligence to human beings, but some kind of cosmic.  Everybody was always looking for “cosmic” back then.  The 60’s and 70’s had been filled with a lot of drugs.  Whether or not cetaceans, whales and dolphins are “smarter” than human beings, that certainly doesn’t set the bar very high.  Marineland’s cetaceans earned their captive keep by jumping through hoops, racing their trainers around the tanks like jet skis, and sliding out of the water and smiling.  Interesting thing about Bottlenosed dolphins or Tursiops truncates, they can be in the most sublime agony and still look like they’re smiling.  A man named Bill Walker wrote a paper once, about what it must feel like for a sonic creature to live in a cement tank.  The devil himself could probably not come up with more exquisite torture.  But that’s another story.
            Mostly, during my time at Marineland, I worked with California Sea Lions at the Stranded Animal Center.  Every year, especially during breeding season, local animal control departments collected sick and injured animals from beaches and brought them to us.  We’d do our best to heal them, but their mortality rates were still about 60%.  I’m sure these days, people who do this kind of work have gotten better at it, I hope so, but in general, if a marine mammal is sick enough to haul out on a beach filled with drunken hominids and screaming kids, it’s sick enough to have already resigned itself to death.
            So, in the early summer I would be inundated with sea lions.  It was my job to feed and medicate them, clean up after them and generally take care of all their needs during rehabilitation.  I was never afraid of them; my instinctive reaction to any wild animal is awe, but maybe I should have been.  California Sea Lions are the most battling, posturing, roaring, whites of the eye threatening, mouth open display of big bear-like teeth, noisy and barking animals there are.  They’re constantly muscling up to each other, growling and lunging, complaining, objecting, and putting up with each other, but just barely, animals on earth. 
            And it’s almost all for show.  They rarely actually bite each other, or anyone.  Their entire way of being is based on the knowledge of their social hierarchy, respecting or not respecting, depending on what they’re up to on a given day, their positions within the larger group.  Social intelligence, for a sea lion, is everything.
            I read an article on the BBC news feed yesterday about human “intelligence,” in which the author proposes the idea that human beings have reached the pinnacle, that as a self-limiting quality, our brand of intelligence has left us nowhere to go.  The article itself (probably inspired by the ascendance of people like Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, and Jair Bolsonaro) mostly describes the physiology of feedback loops.  For instance, we’re taller now than we were in the 19th century because of better nutrition, less debilitating jobs-- at least in the first world not many of us have to get up a 4am and go down the coal mine anymore—and of course advances in medical science.   I found the author’s argument sound, but the best part of the entire piece was the photo at the beginning.  It was of a man in a business suite sitting at the end of a tree limb and sawing it off, ensuring that when he is finished he will plummet to his death.
            It reminded me of Carl Sagan, the now deceased astronomer, and his question about the central problem in the search for extraterrestrial life.  A long time ago, astronomers and the public in general, were keen on this but at the time, the early 1980’s, there was a lot of fear about nuclear war.  The United States and the Soviet Union were in an arms race, defining which country could be the most lethal should war break out, and arriving eventually at a policy called M.A.D, or mutually assured destruction.  If anyone launched on anyone else, both nations would be destroyed.  This worked fairly well as a disincentive for starting the kinds of large scale wars of the past.  Of course it didn’t address the fact that China, India, Pakistan, South Africa, and Israel had all acquired or were in the process of acquiring The Bomb during these years and Sagan wondered if it is possible that every time a so called “intelligent” civilization reaches the level of technological sophistication required for space travel, it was fated to destroy itself.
            This is the crossroads at which we have arrived, now but oddly enough, not because we’re on the brink of nuclear war.  The destruction we’re facing is due to severe human overpopulation and an attitude towards our environment that can only be described as reckless.  Our trash is everywhere, in the oceans, on the land and in the air.  Earth’s atmosphere is heating up so rapidly because of carbon dioxide emissions, due almost entirely on our dependence on fossil fuels, that it’s probable we’ve already gone beyond the point of no return.  We’ve sawed through the branch.  Carl Sagan’s was right, just wrong about the tool of our destruction.  It’s not a bomb.  It’s us.
            As scientists send probes to Mars, to the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, and search the heavens daily with giant radio telescopes looking for signs of technological sophistication or “intelligence,” were we to find it, it would be disastrous for contact to take place.  Human beings, with our manipulative, relentless mental activity and self-importance, cannot help themselves from destroying other species in the name of our imagined superiority.  Evolution has produced billions of species, only one of which has opposable thumbs and big brains.  This one evolutionary mistake is revealing itself to be a planetary disaster on the scale of the meteorite that wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.  Scientists say we’re in the Sixth Mass Extinction and anyone who argues this fact is simply and woefully uninformed.  Hopefully when we are gone, and the remnants of life left on earth resumes its evolutionary march, it will not make the same mistake again.

No comments: